Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Aix-les-Bains

My first impression of Aix-les-Bains, while dragging my suitcases uphill, was that the population seemed to be a bit older. Since then I’ve noticed more younger people, but I still feel like they are missing people my own age. Maybe they are all in the next town where the university is located.
Other things about Aix:

I challenge you to find a stoplight in this city. It is just round-a-bouts all the way.

I think one of the neighbors might have a small vineyard in their backyard. Those certainly do look like grape vines..

There are Christmas lights up everywhere, but they are not turned on. I thought they might just be really on top of it, but after asking someone who lives here, I learned that they actually keep them up all year round.

It smells like snow all the time! You know that fire-y type smell, I guess. And now you can see snow on the tops of the mountains.

The schools, much like universite de nice, appear quite.. ghetto. Basic facilities, lights that turn off in the hallways (they are on timers, and this is actually quite typical France), heating that only sometimes works (=drafty classrooms!), and classrooms equipped with tables and chairs, and that is about it. No computers, internet, wifi, tvs, or at least not in every classroom. The teacher’s lounge is about the same – there are 3 computers (with limited internet access), one printer and one copier for all the teachers in the school. Besides that it’s just tables and chairs, not the most thrilling place to spend one’s breaks.

I also notice here, while on the bus, in the halls or in class, that the clothing seems to be quite monochromatic. Again, not really a surprise, but with my purple scarf, green coat and maroon bag, I feel like I’m wearing the rainbow in comparison to these people who like to pair black with.. well, black (or sometimes grey or brown). And I don’t even think I wear all that colorful clothing back home!

It also turns out that Christine, while a French name, is more of an older French person’s name. Greatttt. Well not really like an old person’s name, but at least people in one generation above me. I keep trying to tell them that yes, it is popular in America, and yes people my age are named this!

There are certain bus lines that end at the school, which, since they don't have school buses like we do, are pretty much the same thing as school buses. Except you have to pay. So one of those comes right outside the house, and as long as I am working when school starts in the morning or after lunch I can take it (since it only runs based on school hours). I’ve taken it about twice now, but I’ve decided it's really awkward because even though it is a public bus, it is pretty much a school bus.. aka the only people on it are loud rowdy middle schoolers, and they all stare at me since I obviously don't fall into the 10-15 age range.

Well I hope that is obvious anyway. Sometimes I don't know if the adults at school can tell. Sometimes they stare at me too, like, should she really be in the teacher's lounge? But no one has ever said anything, thankfully. Maybe it's because European kids look like mini adults..

Anyway this sometimes makes me feel like I’m just the cool, slightly older, American friend come to visit and tell you all about my life. I don’t have to dress up for work, and none of the real teachers do either, everyone wears jeans; it is pretty casual.

There are still some things I don't get about school. Like the students seem to come from all over the place, but I do think that they have to go to a school based on where they live. Also I think sometimes they have free periods, which we never had, not even in high school. But I think this because no matter when I am there, there are random kids sitting outside the school, sometimes smoking (like really?! you are 12!) Probably coming up with schemes to go on strike or overturn cars. You know, the usual.

Already, even though I haven’t seen many students more than once, I have kids recognize me on the bus, in the halls and even downtown. They love to yell my name or say “hello”..

No comments:

Post a Comment